Pages

Thursday, February 21, 2013

Project Unison

I was preparing my new resume page and wanted to link to one of my school projects I had done, but realized I had not published the summary of the project. This post rectifies the situation.

Background:
KSU 2012 Spring Semester. Computer Science course description: "object-oriented programming"—the most generalized way to talk about the C# language. To put it bluntly, this picture sums up pretty much every computer class I've taken so far. In each class, I felt like I was two levels below where I was supposed to be. This KSU class was no different. The only thing I learned about was lambda expressions, and, even then, I'm still not sure where or why you would use them.

Okay, back on topic. Since class wasn't teaching me anything, I found a way to convert it into an honors course. It sounded like a cool thing to do, and I already had a project I was working on in my spare time. The professors were willing to let me work on my side project as the focus of my honors project, so I signed the paperwork and kept doing what I had been doing for a few months.

Project Unison is what I called it, mainly to give it a name. It was concerned with getting information out of World of Warcraft in real time, a particularly hard problem since I didn't do low-level memory reads. I won't talk about any of the details since I'm linking the project summary at the end of this post which goes into specifics about the high-level actions. It isn't technical, but it is long-ish (15 pages).

This is the file I submitted as the last artifact for my honors project, but I also gave a presentation to the computer science faculty about this project. They were quite amazed a sophomore student was able to put together such a project, and were keen to know my opinions on incorporating video game programming into the class room to bolster student enthusiasm about programming.

It's doubtful if I'll ever get around to doing anything more with this project, so I'm thinking about open sourcing the code. If anybody sees this and wants to see that happen, leave a comment or something to let me know. Otherwise, I'll probably forget about it.

I've removed my real name from the document since I'm still not keen on putting my name on the Internet for all to see.
Unison Summary.docx

No comments:

Post a Comment