Pages

Saturday, December 31, 2011

Issues with starting to teach, as well as who, and what, are we fighting against?

Christmas is over; a new school semester, a new year, and New Year's Resolutions are all starting soon. I never did take much stock in those resolutions since the success rate is so abysmal; besides, if you are going to actually "change" your life, it will take effect when you get the proper motivation—a new year is a normal event, not something to get excited about, and definitely not something that will motivate you. In light of that, I'm making a resolution: teach a Sunday school class (or equivalent) on Biblical Creationism. Ever since I've learned about this subject, I've seen the absolute lack of education on creation and wanted to correct it. It's not the reason I started this blog, but it is the reason I've continued it.

Everybody I mention the goal of teaching a class on creation says I would be great at it. Usually the quotes are along these lines:
"You know so much about the creation vs. evolution, you would be so good at it!"
"You are obviously very passionate about the issue, and that is one of the requirements of being a good teacher."
"Your recent CvE article was extremely well written; it is quite apparent you will be good at teaching the subject."
From my history professor (with a doctorate in philosophy): "You can hold a conversation on it [creationism]."
The last one really startled me when he said that to me. I realized I was holding a complete debate/conversation on the subject without any preparation at all. This was also when I started thinking about doing more debating or teaching of some kind—more than what I have in the pipeline for this blog.

Although I really want to do this, there are a few roadblocks:
  1. I haven't been going to church very much for the last while.
  2. I'm not sure how to get this started. Who do I to talk to, how do I get interest in the class, etc.
  3. Despite feeling strongly about doing this, I feel inadequate for the job.
1) Only in the past two months have I tried to go to church; I haven't attended regularly for years. There are many reasons why, and most can be traced back to the lack of concrete teachings in the church. I go to church and I don't see how any of it can be helpful in my life. In contrast, I go to school and can immediately see how the things I learn are applicable. Regardless of the reasons, the question remains: does this affect my credibility in teaching a class? Will people see me as an outsider wanting stage time? Alternatively, will they welcome anybody who wants to teach?

Tangent:  The book Already Gone was published in online format on AnswersInGensis.org recently and it talked about many of the things I have been missing at church. In addition, I just realized how many books are available online there. I'm going to be busy reading for a while.

2) Tying in to the last point, because I haven't been in church, I do not have any contacts; I have no knowledge of who to start talking to. Do I need permission? How does anybody get the message I want to do this class? I haven't an inkling of how to market something like this.

3) Inadequacy is presumably normal and to be expected; I'd probably should be worried if I wasn't concerned about this. It likely will go away when I start preparing and closing in on the actual start date.

While writing this, I think I've come up with a plan. I'll try to 'take over' my Sunday school class for a week or two and see where it goes. If it goes well, I might try to do something in the class of my parents: they held a similar type of class on Scientology and other cults.

Who are we fighting against?
Switching gears, I have seen and read quite a bit of literature against the theistic evolutionists in the church. Are there that many people out there trying to meld evolution and Genesis? Isn't our fight mainly with the ardent atheistic Darwinists? I have pondered these questions, and many more like them, for a few days now and I think I have a few answers.

The biggest answer to me was that our main audience is not the atheists. Our target demographic is the people already in our congregation who don't know how to respond to the two forces pulling them in two very different directions. The first force is the pastor on Sunday proclaiming Christ is Lord and we should put our faith in Him in all areas of our life. The second force is science stating rocks are millions of years old and that life is meaningless, as we have evolved from goo.

In essence, people are confused about what to believe. Should they believe an ancient book that talks about absurd things like a virgin giving birth, special creation of the universe, and people rising from the dead?! On the other hand, should they believe in the much more plausible science books, which have none of that crazy talk, and have a lot less guilt when studying? What to believe: biology book or God's book? Deep down, they know and want God's Word to be true, but they have a hard time reconciling it with the scientists' claims of millions and billions of years, and ancestors of chimps and bacteria.

Deep down, they know evolution is wrong, but have no biblical basis to fight it with. They don't know how to fight evolution; they don't even know what we are fighting about! Where are the battle lines? The age of the Earth? Which part of that gigantic theory, evolution, do we have a problem with? Moreover, why do we have a problem with it? Species change over time, do they not?

What does this controversy mean for witnessing and salvation itself? How is one supposed to witness to an atheist who will shut down any attempt to talk about Jesus as that means talking about that darned book as if it's the absolute truth? How do you talk about the Bible without talking about it? That statement seems impossible.

All Christians, not just those with special interest in witnessing to atheists, need to know how to share the Gospel without starting there. We live in a world that actively tries to censor anything pertaining to the Bible; the world views us a crackpots holding on to an ancient belief that should be discarded as we discard the idea that the Earth is flat. How does one talk about the Bible without talking about the Bible? Our troops need this information on the battle lines, and this is what our—my—purpose is.

No comments:

Post a Comment